Header Ads

Iran Ready for Nuclear Talks With West

TEHRAN - Following the West's change of tone in dealing with the Islamic Republic, Iran said Monday, April 13, it is ready for talks with major world powers over its nuclear program. "The Islamic Republic of Iran welcomes discussion with the group of six for a constructive cooperation," chief nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili told EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana in a telephone call, reported Agence France-Presse (AFP).

Jalili said Tehran would soon give an official response to the six powers' statement, issued after a meeting of their senior officials in London last week.

"The Islamic Republic of Iran will issue an official statement in response to the P5+1 statement," he told Solana.

In Brussels, Solana's spokeswoman said he and Jalili "had a constructive conversation this morning following last week's meeting of the six and the EU".

"They agreed to remain in contact," she added.

Last week, the six powers – the US, Britain, Russia, China, France and Germany –tasked Solana to invite Iran for talks on its nuclear program.

The West accuses Tehran of developing a secret nuclear weapons program.

Iran insists that its nuclear program only aims at procuring power to feed an increasing local consumption.

Tone Change

Iranian MPs say the new move comes after the West's changing tone in dealing with Tehran.

"I think the West is now confronted with new realities and its tone is changing," Alaeddin Brujerdi, head of the parliament's commission on foreign policy and national security, said.

"It understands that Iran does not want enrichment for producing atomic weapons, but wants it only for civilian purpose."

In an olive bench to Tehran, US President Barack Obama, in a message on the Persian New Year Day, offered a "new beginning" of diplomatic engagement with Iran.

Iranian leaders have also shown some flexibility in recent weeks towards Washington.

"The Iranian nation has always been ready for talks," Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Thursday.

"We welcome change ... We think the time for big change has come."

Iran last Thursday announced the opening of its first nuclear fuel plant and said it has tested two new high-capacity centrifuges used to enrich uranium.

"Now the 5+1 has no reason to deny or refuse Iran's nuclear technology and the expected negotiations will be based according to the rights mentioned in the Non-Proliferation Treaty," Iranian parliament speaker Ali Larijani said on Sunday.

Tehran maintains it is allowing the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, to inspect its nuclear work and that as a signatory to the NPT, it has the right to enrich uranium as fuel for nuclear power plants.

From IslamOnline
Dikuasakan oleh Blogger.